Packed with protein, fibre and lots of flavour, Almond Butter Energy Bars bars are perfect for those days when you’re on the go.
This is how I coax my kids to go on hikes when we’re away on vacation…
Find a local bakery and let them choose snacks for the hike.
As long as there are treats in our backpacks and a chance to enjoy them throughout the climb my kids are game to hike.
And to be fair, my kids usually enjoy hiking, but some extra encouragement enroute to the next lookout is always welcome.
This Almond Butter Energy Bar recipe is my version of that wholesome bar.
Store them individually wrapped in the freezer if you want to have them on hand for hikes or anytime you’re on the go.
Almond Butter Energy Bars Recipe
Makes 36 bars
- 3 cups quick rolled oats
- 1 cup bran (natural)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ¼ cup wheat germ or ground flax
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup almond butter (can use peanut butter)
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- Mix oats, bran, coconut, seeds, almonds, raisins, wheat germ and chocolate chips in large bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine molasses, oil, sugar and almond butter. Cook over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. (Stir constantly.)
- In a small dish, combine milk, vanilla and baking soda. Stir into molasses mixture and remove from heat.
- Pour molasses-milk mixture over dry mixture and stir until dry ingredients are moist. Scrape mixture into a 9”x13” pan. Press mixture firmly into pan
- Bake at 275°F for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool, cut into bars and store in the refrigerator.
Nutritional info: Per bar. Calories: 174, Fat: 10.5 g, Saturated Fat: 2.9 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbs: 18.9 g, Sugar: 8.5 Fibre: 2.7 g, Protein: 3.5 g, Potassium 228 mg